Roseville Child Support Lawyer 

Guiding Clients Through Child Support in California

Navigating child support matters in California can be complex and emotionally charged. At The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we provide expert legal guidance and support to parents and guardians facing child support issues. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping you understand and navigate California's child support laws and ensure that the best interests of your children are met.

Call The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson today at (916) 282-7737 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our child support attorney in Roseville!

Understanding California's Child Support Laws

Child support in California is governed by laws designed to ensure that both parents share their children's financial responsibility. These laws are put in place to guarantee that children receive the financial support they need to thrive. When you need a Roseville child support lawyer, working with someone who understands these laws in-depth is crucial. At The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, our attorneys are well-versed in California's child support regulations.

How is Child Support Calculated?

Calculating child support in California follows a specific formula established by state law. The court considers various factors, including:

  • Income: The primary factor in determining child support is the income of both parents. This includes wages, salaries, bonuses, and income from self-employment or rental properties.
  • Custody Arrangement: Each parent's time with the child significantly impacts the child support calculation. If one parent has primary custody, the other will be responsible for child support. In shared custody arrangements, child support may be calculated differently.
  • Healthcare and Childcare Costs: Parents may also be required to share the costs of health insurance and childcare.
  • Tax Deductions: The court will consider tax deductions, such as mortgage interest and property taxes, to determine each parent's net disposable income.
  • Other Children: If a parent is financially responsible for other children from a different relationship, this can impact the child support calculation.
  • Special Expenses: Sometimes, children have specific needs, such as educational expenses or extracurricular activities. These costs may be factored into the support amount.

Understanding that California's child support guidelines are just a starting point is essential. There can be deviations from these guidelines if there are valid reasons, and this is where having a skilled Roseville child support lawyer can make a significant difference. At The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we can help you navigate the complexities of child support calculations and advocate for a fair arrangement that considers your unique circumstances.

What Age Do You Stop Paying Child Support in California?

Child support payments typically continue until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. However, there are exceptions to this rule:

  • If a child is still in high school at age 18, child support may continue until the child completes high school or turns 19, whichever comes first.
  • If a child cannot support themselves due to a disability, child support can be extended indefinitely.
  • The court may order child support for adult children pursuing higher education or vocational training in certain circumstances.

It's essential to understand that the court can modify child support orders when circumstances change, such as changes in income, custody arrangements, or the child's needs. Our Roseville child support lawyers can help you navigate these modifications and ensure that child support orders remain fair and relevant.

Modifying Child Support Agreements

Life changes and some factors can result in a child support plan being modified in the future. One parent remarrying and having more children can be a reason for a reduced payment. So can the loss of a job. However, parents must never unilaterally change the support plan—even if they agree- without seeking a formal court modification. Getting a modification order is something our office can help with.

Get Help from a Trusted Roseville Child Support Lawyer

Child support matters can be emotionally charged and legally complex. At The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we are committed to providing compassionate and knowledgeable legal representation to parents and guardians in Roseville, California. Our experienced attorneys understand California's child support laws, and we can help you navigate the child support calculation process while advocating for your rights and the best interests of your children. 

Contact The Law Offices of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson today to schedule a consultation with our child support lawyer in Roseville!

Speak to an Attorney Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a lawyer to get a divorce?

    Strictly speaking, the answer is no. The state of California allows people to represent themselves. But—and yes, we understand we’re biased—a lot is missed out on when a reliable and experienced attorney isn’t present. Essential issues in the property settlement might be getting overlooked. Agreements on child support or spousal support might be less than what a spouse or parent deserves. And, even in the simplest of divorce cases, a lawyer can still provide efficient services in filing documents and responding to motions, allowing their client to focus on the next era of their life.

  • What if my ex isn’t paying child support?

    The failure to pay child support is a serious offense, one for which a spouse can go to jail. Child support agreements are effectively a court order and failure to comply is contempt of court. Judges will give a delinquent child support payer every opportunity to bring their payments current, but the recipient spouse should not hesitate to take legal action if not getting what they are properly owed.

  • Who gets the house in a divorce?

    The house will be subject to California’s community property laws, which require a 50/50 split of all marital property between spouses. Whether the family home ends up with a spouse or is sold depends on how the parties negotiate the settlement. No uniform rule exists on how any particular marital property should be distributed.