Granite Bay Fathers' Rights Lawyer

Representing Fathers Throughout Placer and Nevada Counties

Fathers want to be involved in their children's lives. At the same time, mothers are often reluctant to share full custody with fathers. If you are involved in a custody dispute, you want to work with a family law attorney who can help you work toward a fair solution. At The Law Office of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we are highly experienced in handling all types of family law matters, including divorce and child custody. We work hard to create solutions that work for everyone involved.

Speak to our firm today at (916) 282-7737 to discuss your case.

How Does California Decide Custody?

California courts consider several factors when deciding custody. These include:

  • the wishes of the parents
  • the interaction and relationship of the child with parents and siblings
  • the child's adjustment to home, school, and community
  • the child's mental and physical health
  • each parent's ability and willingness to perform their parenting responsibilities
  • each parent's ability to provide for the child's needs
  • the child's preference, if old enough to express a reasonable preference
  • the child's needs for a healthy and stable environment
  • the parents' abilities to provide for the child's needs
  • whether domestic violence occurred in the family
  • whether one parent is a fugitive
  • whether one parent is more financially able to provide for the child
  • whether either parent's home environment is harmful to the child

We can help you prepare a strong case that accurately represents your side. We will explain your options and work to help you reach an agreement or solution that works for you. If you need to go to court, we will be by your side to present your case to the judge.

Legal Support for Fathers in Placer and Nevada Counties

At The Law Office of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we understand how difficult a family law matter can be. We work to resolve the situation in a way that is best for you and your children. We will work to help you obtain the outcomes you desire and deserve. We can help you with:

  • Child SupportCalifornia uses the statewide uniform guideline to calculate child support. This guideline takes into account the parties' incomes and the number of children. It also takes into account the cost of children's basic expenses, such as food, clothing, and shelter. Parents can agree to deviate from the guideline amount, and sometimes it is necessary to go to court to challenge an unfair amount.
  • Custody: We can help you obtain custody or modify an existing custody order. Custody can be sole, joint, or legal decision-making with the non-custodial parent. We can help you obtain the arrangement that is best for you and your children.
  • Relocation: California law allows a custodial parent to move a reasonable distance away with the child. The non-custodial parent may object if they believe the move will make it harder for them to maintain a relationship with the child. The court will then consider the parents' and child's best interests when making a decision.

Contact Our Firm Today

At The Law Office of James-Phillip V.M. Anderson, we are here to help you. We will work hard to help you reach an outcome that works best for you and your family. To schedule your initial consultation, call us at (916) 282-7737 or contact us online.

Speak to an Attorney Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a lawyer to get a divorce?

    Strictly speaking, the answer is no. The state of California allows people to represent themselves. But—and yes, we understand we’re biased—a lot is missed out on when a reliable and experienced attorney isn’t present. Essential issues in the property settlement might be getting overlooked. Agreements on child support or spousal support might be less than what a spouse or parent deserves. And, even in the simplest of divorce cases, a lawyer can still provide efficient services in filing documents and responding to motions, allowing their client to focus on the next era of their life.

  • What if my ex isn’t paying child support?

    The failure to pay child support is a serious offense, one for which a spouse can go to jail. Child support agreements are effectively a court order and failure to comply is contempt of court. Judges will give a delinquent child support payer every opportunity to bring their payments current, but the recipient spouse should not hesitate to take legal action if not getting what they are properly owed.

  • Who gets the house in a divorce?

    The house will be subject to California’s community property laws, which require a 50/50 split of all marital property between spouses. Whether the family home ends up with a spouse or is sold depends on how the parties negotiate the settlement. No uniform rule exists on how any particular marital property should be distributed.